USBC NEWS UPDATES
Scroll down for old news
Presentation Evening 30 November 2019
Kick off time 7pm. The evening was a wonderful club night with an excellent 2 course meal provided by Janet and the team. A big thanks to all who helped and Wendy for the organisation. Presentation, raffle a bit of dancing what more could you ask for?
The presentation was done by Liz and Chris Lake. David Lake our president could not attend but is recovering well and sent a message of thanks to all for the best wishes and cards he has received.
Bowlers of year were Lyn Parker and Colin Hiles.
Presentation evening Pictures Below
CHRIS LAKE, KEITH ROGERS, LYN PARKER, KEITH ROCKEY
SUE DEANS,MIKE SMART, LIZ DAVIES, LEW BAGLOW
JOHN McNEILL , DAVID LAKE, COLIN HILES
DAVID ANDERSON, ROY ELKINS, JOHN HISCOCK
BERYL FOSTER JEAN BEER
SUE DEANS CHRIS LAKE
CHRISTEL RAINEY, DAVID LAKE
JOYCE DENNIS MIKE SMART
MENS TWO WOODS
JANE DUTTON, JEAN BEER, LYN PARKER
JOYCE DENNIS, CHRIS WEBBER, BRENDA WOOD
LADIES TWO WOODS
STEVE MARQUES,COLIN HILES
DAVID WOOD, KEVIN PARKER
NOEL BENNETT CUP
ALF BROWN CUP
BOWLER OF THE YEAR MEN
BOWLER OF THE YEAR
LADIES LYN PARKER
SCROLL DOWN FOR PICTURES AND OLD NEWS
The clubhouse extension has a planned start date; provided we can raise the shortfall in funds.
Click on this link to see the story as presented at our AGM.
WEYMOUTH TOUR 2019
Well, another season ended with a successful bowling tour. We visited lovely clubs and were made
very welcome by all. Naturally a glorious week’s weather was a real bonus. Although we didn’t
actually manage to win a game we did have a few winning rinks! We did the usual things, dancing,
drinking, fining people for misdemeanours as well as bowling. Finishing off the week with a presentation evening and a raffle we raised £190 to be shared between two local charities, North
Devon Hospice and the Memory Café “Memories are made of This” under the auspices of the Rotary
Club of Barnstaple Link.
Thank you to everyone for the fun and laughter. Well done.
Mixed Pairs 3 Wood Tournament Winners
Wendy Bibby & Roli Booker holding the Overtion Cup. With Derek Overton who presented the awards.
Derek Overton with Runners up, Joyce and Derek Dennis
Ladies Jubilee Trophy at Paignton
Another success. September 11th 2019 at Paignton, the ladies from North Devon picked up the Jubilee Trophy, a very close game.
They beat Section 6, 74-70 in the semi-Final and Section 5, 89-69 in the Final. Well done everyone.
Ladies Tournament 10th Sept 2019
The ladies tournament took place on a sunny day, lucky weather window. The winners shown with President Liz Davies were Elaine Clements & Christina Payne from Great Torrington.
The Clubhouse Extension (Aug 2019)
We have now had a set of drawings produced for submission to the Estates Department of the council showing details of the new clubhouse. The executive have been shown the drawings and below is a link to key drawings.
Summerising, the extension will have 5 metres added behind the clubhouse and 2.5 metres behind the bar. This will provide a large gents and ladies changing rooms, a lounge , a bar, large kitchen and long storage room behind the bar.
The lounge is large enough to accommodate the skittle alley and may be split by a moveable wall into 2 smaller rooms. The bar is 5 metres long and overlaps the wall between the main clubhouse and lounge, thereby allowing drinks to be served in the lounge or main clubhouse.
The kitchen moves to the present bar position but is much larger than the current kitchen.
The present verandah is replaced by part of the roof overhanging (doing away with the plastic) and ultimately it will have bi-fold doors allowing viewing in a conservatory style room. This will assist with heating in the winter.
The Clubhouse Extension (May 2019)
More funds roll in!
Most of you will know that we have been awarded £75000 from the lottery. We have a few hoops to jump through but they are all in hand.
The current status of the project.
- An architect has been appointed to produce the necessary drawings.
- We are about to have an asbestos roof survey to get a certificate to allow it to be removed.
- We are in negotiations with the council to get a new lease.
The financial side of the project.
- We have money put ring fenced for the architect. This was raised by Lew from the Coop and Tesco.
- We have £12500 from the council community fund.
- The Lottery award is £75000
- We have section 106 money (from new housing build fund) to awarded when building starts. Unfortunately we cannot apply for this retrospectively therefore we needed to identify a module of work that can be delayed until after the club house is complete. To ensure we receive the money we will not be updating the kitchen until the money is forthcoming. We expect the fund to grant us about £40000.
- We have applied to Fullabrook Wind Farm for £25000 (quote obtained from RES Devon) to fund the heating and solar panels on the roof. The heating will be underfloor in the extension, warm air heating in the main part of the building and hot water provided by air source heat pumps.
- This gives us a total (potential) fund of £152000.
We hope to start work finally during the winter of 2019/2020 but all the delays are being caused by the council dotting the i’s and crossing the t’s.
Watch this space.